Friday, September 3, 2010

The Top 10 Things I Have Learned About Life Since the Half Ironman: Post-Sabbatical


Well, my apologies for taking nearly a month off from blogging, but the past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity that have left me feeling, well, honestly, rather drained - emotionally, physically and mentally. But I am getting myself back into the swing of things and into a more balanced place, and so I find myself, yet again, at the computer, driveling about the tiny pieces of wisdom that I have gained during this madness.

THE TOP 10 THINGS I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT LIFE SINCE THE HALF MARATHON: POST-SABBATICAL

#4 "Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate...without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we had never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change, so do cities, people come into your life, and people go. But it's comforting to know that the ones that you love are always in your heart...and if you're very lucky, a plane ride away." (Carrie from Sex and the City)

As we embark on a new season, and the intense heat of the summer of 2010 paves the way for a cool and colorful fall (*fingers crossed*), it doesn't escape me that life itself is very much like the changing seasons, with different chapters representing different careers or friendships or loves or cities or collections of special moments. This summer brought wonderful new people into my life, new experiences, new joys and new pains. And through most of it, I have tried to appreciate the current season for what it is without dwelling on past chapters or looking hopefully into the future. When life it good, it is easy to get so caught up in the wonder of your current story that you start writing more and more of your book before the outline is done. Doing so, almost always ends up being a mistake, as moving through life's seasons too quickly does not allow you to make the transitions necessary to ease into new weather patterns. I hope I have not learned this lesson too late.

As for the changes in my life, this new season will mean a move back into the big city of DC (Chinatown to be exact), which I left in he fall of 2007 for the 'burbs of Virginia. I am generally one who thrives on change, and I am excited about the move, but with change always comes feelings of fear and nostalgia. I have lived in my wonderful apartment in Rosslyn for nearly two full years (a record for me), and I have made great friends here and savor great memories. But it is comforting to know, that despite life's ups and downs, moves and relocations, good times and bad, the ones that you love will always be with you in your heart. Appreciate each season for the wonder it brings and try not to get so caught up in dwelling in the past or looking to the future that you forget how fantastic the now really is.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment